January 10, 2014

Cain's Birth Story

This has been long overdue, but with all the challenges and changes being a first time mom brings, I just haven't been able to get to this sooner. Since Canh wrote Cain's birth story and gave it to me for Christmas, I decided it was finally time to write my own. Its short, sweet, and FAST!

Canh and I were watching tv on November 12th at 7 pm, when all of the sudden he said something that made me laugh hysterically. I then heard a pop! I looked at him and said, I think my water just broke. It was actually my mucus plug. 30 minutes later my water did break, so I decided to get into the shower. I had this vision I was going to be able to take a nice long shower, put my makeup on, do my hair, read a book, taking a walk, possibly take a nap, just enjoying doing all these things on my own for one last time, but Cain had other plans. As I stood in the shower, I began feeling light cramping and thought maybe these are contractions, so I had Canh time them. Within 10 minutes they went from 0 to 60, so I got out of the shower, told Canh to call my doula, and just sat there and breathed through it all. The best part was when Canh told me to stop being so "dramatic". I don't think he will ever forget the look on my face when I heard those words. If I wasn't in so much pain, I would have strangled him with my bare hands. My contractions were coming in strong waves, overlapping one another and intensifying by the minute. When my doula finally got there, she asked how I felt, and at that point I wasn't able to speak (a sign it's time to go to the hospital). I just went up to Canh and started slow dancing with him, because that was the only thing making me feel comfortable. They told me we have to go now, so we grabbed our stuff and ran out the door. Not even 10 minutes later I started feeling this strong exerting force that I couldn't control. I yelled, " Canh, I don't know what's happening, but you need to drive faster. You need to get me to the hospital now". The car ride was the most uncomfortable experience of my life! When we got there I couldn't even walk. My doula grabbed a wheel chair and wheeled me in. Labor and delivery was on the 5th floor and as she was scrambling to get me up there, I was moaning through the halls and started ripping off my clothes. I went full on primal and probably scared a few people. They put me in room right away and when they checked me they could already see Cain's head crowning. My doctor showed up shortly after that and we tried figuring out the best position for me to labor in. I decided to drape my arms over the head of the bed, so that my back side was facing everyone. After 20 minutes of intense pushing, feeling like I was going to pass out, and finally getting past the ring of fire (which was the scariest part), Cain shot out of me like a missile, literally. Canh was on the opposing end waiting to catch him and literally almost fumbled him because he came out so fast! I couldn't believe my baby was finally here! After 3 hours of laboring, the first time I opened my eyes the entire time was when they put my sweet little boy on my chest. It was incredible and I couldn't believe I did it. Canh looked over at me and said, "now that wasn't so bad was it"?! This guy I tell you...hey, at least we can laugh about it now.

There were definitely moments during my labor when I thought, I can't do this anymore and there's no way my body can handle much more of this pain. I think having a three hour labor, was the reason I felt much more pain than I even anticipated. With that being said, I wouldn't have had it any other way. I plan on birthing all my children naturally, and am even thinking of a home birth for the next one. Although my hospital experience was fantastic, I didn't really feel like I needed to be there. The room was completely silent and my doctor and nurses just let me take charge of birth and do my thing. They really respected my wishes and I am so thankful for that. Cain's birth was an incredible experience and one that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Mind over matter is POWERFUL.

No comments:

Post a Comment